glabel nor tunefs save my labels

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Wed May 12 22:28:50 UTC 2010

Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> writes:

> On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 09:35:08AM -0700, Carl Johnson wrote:
>> Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> writes:

>> > See §19.6 (Labeling Disk Devices) in the FreeBSD Handbook. However, it is not mentioned
>> > there that labels are removed when the partition is mounted. Maybe that
>> > behavior is recent?
>>
>> I am not the original poster, but I tried again and I now am mostly
>> using labels and the labels are still showing in /dev/ufs/.  I didn't
>> have labels showing in /dev/ufs, but I changed fstab to what they
>> should be and rebooted.  The system came up using the labels and they
>> are showing in /dev/ufs/ and using 'glabel status'.
>
> When I did my testing, I did not reboot the system. Maybe that is
> the difference?

It might be, but I had rebooted more than once previously.  This time
I mounted them using the labels, so maybe *that* is the difference.  I
have another system running in VirtualBox from Linux (this one is not
a virtual machine) and I don't remember having any similar problems
with labels on it.  It doesn't make sense to me so I really don't
know.

>> I say mostly because the /usr partition isn't recognized for some
>> reason, even though dumpfs and tunefs show the label.  That label is
>> also not shown in /dev/ufs or using 'glabel status'.  That made the
>> reboot a little tricky since I had to manually mount /usr in order to
>> get an editor to edit fstab to continue the boot.
>
> That is odd indeed. Maybe a misspelling in the label? Anything in dmesg or
> /var/log/messages.

I have checked many times and can't find anything different about that
FS compared with the others.  It isn't a misspelling because there
isn't anything in /dev/ufs except the other 4 labels that I am already
using.  There is nothing in the logs except the boot error in dmesg
when it couldn't find /usr to mount it.

The system works so I am not really worried about it.  It just
irritates me when I can't get things to work as I think they should.
Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org