user friendliest gui

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed May 12 17:02:34 UTC 2010

On Wed, 12 May 2010 14:39:46 +0000, Jean-Paul Natola <jnatola at familycareintl.org> wrote:

> As for directions:
>
> >Use your choice of programming language to write a program that will
> >call file(1) to determine filesystem, mount the device, virus scan, and
> >unmount the device.  Display prompts and results with dialog(1).  Print
> >results if desired.
>
> I do not know any language, other than DOS , which is why I asked

"Denial Of Service" is a language? Where is it spoken,
in Kaputnikstan? :-)

If one would really want to go with X, Tcl/Tk, as it has been
mentioned by others (and me), is a good way to go. There are
helpful examples installed when you install it on your system.
It's a very easy to learn, but still powerful scripting language
that very well interacts with command line processing. Just
look at the examples, you'll find much inspiration there.

For text mode and using dialog (as for example sysinstall does),
it's another easy way to go, because you can entirely keep your
scripting in /bin/sh syntax and don't need much dependencies.
Furthermore, you have a portable solution. No special needs for
a high-end GPU and an appropriate driver. Even a 100 MHz box
with a 2 GB hard disk could then be used for this particular
job. You could even attach a simple dotmatrix line printer for
printing the receipt. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany