glabel nor tunefs save my labels

Carl Johnson carlj at peak.org
Wed May 12 16:35:10 UTC 2010

Roland Smith <rsmith at xs4all.nl> writes:

> On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 07:46:57PM +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:

>> > <snip>

>> Aaah ! So I understand everything now ! Is this written somewhere ?
>
> See §19.6 (Labeling Disk Devices) in the FreeBSD Handbook. However, it is not mentioned
> there that labels are removed when the partition is mounted. Maybe that
> behavior is recent?

I am not the original poster, but I tried again and I now am mostly
using labels and the labels are still showing in /dev/ufs/.  I didn't
have labels showing in /dev/ufs, but I changed fstab to what they
should be and rebooted.  The system came up using the labels and they
are showing in /dev/ufs/ and using 'glabel status'.

I say mostly because the /usr partition isn't recognized for some
reason, even though dumpfs and tunefs show the label.  That label is
also not shown in /dev/ufs or using 'glabel status'.  That made the
reboot a little tricky since I had to manually mount /usr in order to
get an editor to edit fstab to continue the boot.

Carl Johnson		carlj at peak.org