Live Filesystem (Fixit Console) and NFS FreeBSD8

Grant Peel gpeel at thenetnow.com
Sun May 9 20:49:28 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I had a routine disk change that we required today, thought it would take me
2 hours, took close to 8.

I am sure there is something I did'nt read, or do, if anyone can help me
understand I would appreciate it.

I have several machines connected to a NFS share on a local network. When I
put the new disk in the machine, booted it up with FreeBSD(8) Live CD, went
to the Fixit Console, I was unable to get the machine to connect to the
Netowrk File Share. All other machines were still connected and functioning.

I brought up the Clinet interface with:

    ifconfig em1 inet 192.168.0.5/24

and was able to ping the NFS server with no problems.

I was also able to SSH to the NFS server no problems.

The NFS server is set to allow all hosts in the 192.168.0.0/24 network.

Here is the command line I was using on the client:

    mount 192.168.0.4:/mnt /enterprise

The error I got was:

    RPCPROG_NFS: RPC: Program not registered

I tried everything I could think of to get it to work, adding
nfs_client_enable="YES" to a rc.conf I created in etc/, tried nfsiod -n 4
... all that. I tried starting rpcbind etc etc.

Again, any help would be appreciated,

-Grant