File system

Bruce Cran bruce at cran.org.uk
Sun May 9 09:46:55 UTC 2010

On Sunday 09 May 2010 04:18:12 Ansar Mohammed wrote:

> The background to this problem is because the FreeBSD root filesystem (UFS)
> is not journaled and for some reason I cannot set my root partition to be
> UFS+SoftUpdates.
>
> At any rate, we are in the year 2010, most modern operating systems and
> databases and able to survive an unclean shutdown without booting into
> single user mode and file system/data corruption.

Even with SoftUpdates and journaling you'll find UFS doesn't cope well with
unclean shutdowns: to test it, a couple of weeks ago I started a "rm -rf
/usr/obj/*" and pressed the reset button - upon startup I got dumped into
single-user mode with a softupdates inconsistency. I've not tried the same
test but I think ZFS is much better at recovering from this sort of problem
since it was designed from the start to be very resilient.

--
Bruce Cran