Switching wired / wireless using lagg(4)

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Sat May 8 20:49:25 UTC 2010

On 2010-05-07 21:59, Demelier David wrote:
> Hi freebsd-questions@,
>
>     I tried this
>     http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-aggregation.html
>
>     To manage the wired / wireless devices on my laptop, so I added :
>
>     hostname="Melon.malikania.fr"
>     wlans_iwn0="wlan0"
>     cloned_interfaces="lagg0"
>     ifconfig_msk0="UP"
>     ifconfig_iwn0="ether 18:a9:05:87:38:0a"
>     ifconfig_wlan0="WPA"
>     ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport msk0 laggport wlan0 DHCP"
>     background_dhclient="YES"
>
>     in my /etc/rc.conf, it works but I can't understand why we must set the iwn0
>     MAC address to the msk0 one? and is it possible to remove or to put in
>     background the "Waiting 30s for the default ..." it's sometime too long.
>
>     For the moment it just works and it's very powerful, I can switch the wired /
>     wireless without any commands ;-).
>
>     Cheers,

Hello David.

I tried out this as well. I did not observe that it should be the MAC
address of the wired interface at first, so I put the wifi MAC in
rc.conf and got a page fault 12 when I tried to boot with the lagg
configuration. I've now changed the MAC but I stil get the page fault :-(

I'm not sure what you want to achieve with the background_dhclient.
I use
ifconfig_lagg0="laggproto failover laggport em0 laggport wlan0 SYNCDHCP

SYNCDHCP waits for the dhcp offer so no network services are started
before the  NIC gets an address.

/Leslie