Small computer to run a GUI?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat May 8 16:44:34 UTC 2010

On 8 May 2010 16:13:14 -0000, John Levine <johnl at iecc.com> wrote:
> If you want to run X
> stuff, my advice would be to run a X server on your laptop to make it
> act like an X terminal, and run the applications on the Soekris over
> the network.  That's how X was designed to be used.  Works great.

In this case, maybe this product is interesting as well:

	http://www.axel.com/usa2/prod_ax3.html?mv2_pos=1

It is a terminal (network based), and often called a thin
client. I call it a terminal because it is a terminal, and
that's nothing bad. :-)

> If you really really want to run X on your Soekris, you could plug in
> a mini-PCI video card, which I see you can get for about $45, but I'd
> recommend not running an X server process on your server hardware.

Basically, a 500 MHz system with 512 MB RAM is excellent at
running X and applications - I have a P2 / 300 MHz that still
is an excellent workstation (e. g. XFCE 3, Opera, XMMS, mplayer,
OpenOffice 2), but if you really just want a web browser,
a simple window manager (e. g. XFCE 3, Fluxbox, IceWM) is
okay; only problem could be the (already outdated) "Flash" stuff...

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany