Small computer to run a GUI?

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat May 8 16:12:20 UTC 2010

On Fri, 7 May 2010 21:37:53 -0700, Liontaur <liontaur at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 6:47 PM, Adam Vande More <amvandemore at gmail.com>wrote:
>

> > Sounds like you want a netbook.
> >
> > --
> > Adam Vande More
> >

> I was more thinking of something without a monitor, keyboard or mouse.

This is what you usually call a terminal. :-) "Modern" people
often call it a thin client. In particular, I'm not sure if it
fits your needs because it not a stand-alone system.

> want to put it in a cupboard and not worry about it.

Again, this sounds like you want a terminal. You don't worry
about them. In fact, you don't spend one thought about them
after installing (which means: plugging it in).

> With a netbook i'd
> probably have to leave it open (or else it would go into suspend mode or
> heat up or...).

Sadly, that's often a problem - running a laptop or notebook
with closed lid, so you can use attached keyboard, mouse and
monitor. :-(

> I was just hoping for something Soekris size but with a VGA
> output.

Maybe something ARM based would be useful?

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany