grub2 not in ports?

C. P. Ghost cpghost at cordula.ws
Fri May 7 10:32:23 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 8:13 AM, Lokadamus <lokadamus at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 07.05.2010 02:10, schrieb C. P. Ghost:
>> has someone successfully ported GRUB2[1] to FreeBSD/i386
>> and FreeBSD/amd64? I see no port sysutils/grub2 in the tree,
>> even though I know that GRUB2 *can* boot FreeBSD directly
>> and via chain-loading.
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/url.cgi?ports/sysutils/grub/pkg-descr

Thank you, but this is legacy GRUB, and not what I'm looking for.
I specifically need GRUB2, that's why I've asked for a port or if
someone is interested in or already making one.

> This port does not install GRUB on the master boot record of your hard
> drive.
> To do this, or to use it with a floppy disk, you will need to read the info
> page that is installed by the port.

Of course: grub/grub2 ports aren't supposed to install anything on the MBR
by default. You're right: one has to invoke 'grub' specifically, after
creating a
/boot/grub/menu.lst file.

> When you will use grub2, you need a floppy or live cd to install it.
> But no bsd- based live cd will have grub2 i think.

What I want to do is this: I create a floppy disk (or hdd disk) image with dd,
put a file system on it, mount it via mdconfig(8), and at this point, I need to
install GRUB2 on it (and then run qemu -fda or qemu -hda to boot it).

I know how to do this with legacy GRUB and it works perfectly (there's a trick
with setting kern.geom.debugflags to 16, a.k.a "allow foot shooting" (geom(4))
to set up the MBR though). With GRUB2, it is a little bit different, as far as I
can see. Having the GRUB2 files installed via a port would be a little
bit easier
than compiling GRUB2 manually (though it's not really hard to port it).

> Sorry for my english :(
> Cheers

Kind regards,
-cpghost.