Accessing file from windows or to windows

Fbsd1 fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com
Thu May 6 22:29:47 UTC 2010

Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have a file I need in my bsd box, would it be easier, or is it possible, to mount an NTFS share , or should I try to "map" a directory from the windows box.
>

> TIA,
>
> I have
>
> Xp
> Win7
> Win2003
> Win2008
> Freebsd 6.4
>
> thanx

Sounds like all your PCs are on a private LAN and this file you want
access to will only be accessed from the LAN. I have the same setup and
exchange files between Windows PCs and Freebsd using FTP. I enable the
builtin FTP server in /etc/inetd.conf. Close FTP's ports to the public
internet in the firewall. Then run a free shareware FTP client on the
windows PC or just use the windows internet browser to target the
Freebsd ftp server. The shareware FTP client method lets me exchange
both ways, (move a file from win to fbsd and fbsd to win) The windows
internet browser method is one direction only, (from fbsd to win). I set
the FTP server up as anonymous so all LAN PCs can download and upload to
each other using the FTP server as a post and forward service.