Accessing file from windows or to windows-

Tim Daneliuk tundra at tundraware.com
Thu May 6 22:06:58 UTC 2010

On 5/6/2010 4:52 PM, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
>> will be established.
>>
>> Same error:
>> milter# mount_smbfs //jnatola at fcisql01/DATA /mnt
>> Password:
>> mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error
>> milter#
>>

> This sounds like you have a permissions problem on the Windows share.
> In Windows Explorer, right click on the shared directory and look
> at Properties->Sharing->Permissions.  Make sure that 'jnatola' has
> an account on that machine and that this account is permitted access
> to that share.  If that's all waorking, my guess would be you
> have the wrong password.
>

> This is the company wide share everyone has access to it,
> It even fails if I use the domain and enterprise admin accounts-
>
> And as I'm typing this, could that be the reason, because im using domain accounts?

It could be.  I've never tried mount_smbfs in a Domain, only a Workgroup.
I'm not saying it won't work, I just don't know.  I do know there
is some magic in how SMB passwords get encrypted and that it is possible
for FreeBSD to do it differently than the Win machine and thus the mount
will fail.

One more thing to try would be to create a share that requires NO password
and see what happens then.

Tim Daneliuk     tundra at tundraware.com