Accessing file from windows or to windows-

Jean-Paul Natola jnatola at familycareintl.org
Thu May 6 21:32:17 UTC 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions at freebsd.org] On Behalf Of Tim Daneliuk
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2010 5:28 PM
To: FreeBSD Mailing List
Subject: Re: Accessing file from windows or to windows-

On 5/6/2010 4:19 PM, Jean-Paul Natola wrote:
<SNIP>

> Well my book  (absolute BSD) yes its old, says:
> "writing to an NTFS partition may corrupt the partition" - I'm guessing this is not the case anymore
> and to answer your question;
>
> 1. Its 2 separate machines
> 2. As a security standard I have disabled flash drives in the office
> 3. It will be a monthly taks
> 4. No web access on the bsd box
>
> Forgot the main one, when I tried to mount I get the error
> mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error

This means Windows is looking for login credentials before it will
allow you to access the share. Suppose you are user 'Jean' on your
Windows machine,"WINDOZE" and you use a password of "foo". You want to
get to the Windows share called "MYSHARE" and mount it locally on your
FBSD box on /mnt. Then the command is:

   mount_smbfs //JEAN at WINDOZE/MYSHARE /mnt

You'll get prompted for a password and, when you enter it, the mount
will be established.

Same error:
milter# mount_smbfs //jnatola at fcisql01/DATA /mnt
Password:
mount_smbfs: unable to open connection: syserr = Authentication error
milter#