Addition to BSDstats

Marc G. Fournier scrappy at hub.org
Thu May 6 04:46:07 UTC 2010

On Wed, 5 May 2010, Randi Harper wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 May 2010, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to have probs with mine too. I was under the impression that
>>> bsdstats was installed by default (in the base system?)
>>
>> There has been talk about adding it as an option to sysinstall, but,
>> unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge of sysinstall to add it, and
>> nobody else has step'd forward that does ... the idea wasn't to
>> auto-install/enable, but to make it more visible while you are installing
>>
>> Anyone out there able to do this ... ?
>
> I have not heard any talk about this up until this email.

Its been brought up a few times over the past couple of years ...

> I wouldn't want to add an option to sysinstall for this unless bsdstats
> was part of base.

Since it is just a script that was designed specifically so that it
doesn't require any other ports to be installed, *in theory* it could just
be dump'd into /etc/periodic/monthly without any issues ...

But, if it were ... unlike PC-BSD, it would have to be opt-in, not opt-out
... based on all of the discussions in the past, and I agree, nobody would
appreciate (and outcry would be heavy) if someone were to add an 'opt-out
phone home script' that they didn't consciously enable ...

----
Marc G. Fournier                        Hub.Org Hosting Solutions S.A.
scrappy at hub.org                                     http://www.hub.org

Yahoo:yscrappy    Skype: hub.org    ICQ:7615664    MSN:scrappy at hub.org