Addition to BSDstats

mikel king mikel.king at olivent.com
Thu May 6 03:25:56 UTC 2010

On May 5, 2010, at 10:55 PM, Randi Harper wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 May 2010, Chris Whitehouse wrote:
>>
>>> I seem to have probs with mine too. I was under the impression
>>> that bsdstats was installed by default (in the base system?)
>>
>> There has been talk about adding it as an option to sysinstall,
>> but, unfortunately, I don't have enough knowledge of sysinstall to
>> add it, and nobody else has step'd forward that does ... the idea
>> wasn't to auto-install/enable, but to make it more visible while
>> you are installing ...
>>
>> Anyone out there able to do this ... ?
>
> I have not heard any talk about this up until this email. I wouldn't
> want to add an option to sysinstall for this unless bsdstats was
> part of base. If it were, this would be trivial, but I don't really
> want to pop up any optional package menus other than what already
> exists.
>
> -- randi

This idea was mentioned a few years as a way to improve advocacy
statistics. Something short and sweet, with a one or two line
explanation encouraging people to install the BSDStats system. If it
were a yes/no option similar to the "Would you like to install Linux
Compatibility" then it would be a no brainer.  Honestly this seems
relatively unobtrusive and quite logical.

Regards,
Mikel King
Senior Editor, BSD News Network
Columnist, BSD Magazine