dangerously dedicated disks and 8-stable status

krad kraduk at googlemail.com
Wed May 5 20:28:14 UTC 2010

On 5 May 2010 18:55, Polytropon <freebsd at edvax.de> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 May 2010 17:17:09 +0100, krad <kraduk at googlemail.com> wrote:
> > I updated a production box at work last night from freebsd 6.2 to
> 8-stable,
> > via 7-stable. The upgrade went ok just a minor glitch in jumping from 7
> > 8. Basically all the device names changed from mfid0s1[a-g] to
> mfid0[a-g]. I
> > presume this is because the initial layout was  in dangerously dedicated
> > mode.
>
> That's strange. "Dangerously" dedicated partitioning omits the
> slicing part, so if you had mfid0s1[a-g] in 6 and 7, there was
> a slice. Maybe the mfi driver is different in 8 in terms of
> representing the disks?
>

> > Two issues here why did the naming scheme seem to indicate a more
> > normal MBR disk layout in bsd 6 and 7.
>
> Very strange - if you can check booting from a live system CD
> or DVD with FreeBSD 6 and 7, and the disks are mfid0s1[a-g],
> and if you boot into FreeBSD 8, the disks are mfid0[a-g], that's
> really strange...
>
> I agree, but it definitely happened, as i did the upgrade remotely. Luckily
the data center was only a mile or so away from my home, so it wasn't a
major disaster to console it, point the kernel at  the correct device and
tweak fstab. COst me an hour more sleep than it had to though 8(

I have another box to do in the next day or so. Is there anything you
recommend me looking at/running? Hopefully this box will have a drac card in
it 8)

> > Second what is the current status of
> > dangerously dedicated in 8-stable as i thought support was being dropped.
>
> The support has been removed from sysinstall. You can't create
> dedicated partitions (without slice) with sysinstall, but you
> can create them manually (e. g. using bsdlabel and newfs). So
> support isn't dropped at all - dedicated disks just is a new
> special secret feature. :-)
>

> This was the bit i was worried about, as i didnt want to get caught out in
the future when I want to upgrade again