booting??

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Wed May 5 17:41:22 UTC 2010

On Wed, 5 May 2010 09:59:35 -0700, Gary Kline <kline at thought.org> wrote:
> (I did try
>
>   # cdrecord dev=1,0,0 foo.iso
>
> on a non-empty and and empty DVD.  no joy.

I'm not sure it's safe to use cdrecord for DVDs. Anyway, I
always wqas lucky using growisofs (from port dvd+rw-tools).
This is the command:

	# growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=foo.iso

You can replace /dev/dvd with the ATAPICAM device refering
to your DVD recorder, usually something like /dev/cd0. The
command

	# camcontrol devlist

shows you the device name (löok for the SCSI ID 1,0,0 as
from your cdrecord example).

> what are the magic commands to use from the cmdline to
> erase my dvd?  is there a utility to erase?

In "man growisofs" I found this:

	Note that DVD+RW re-formatting procedure does not
	substitute for blanking.  If you want to nullify
	the media, e.g. for privacy reasons, do it
	explicitly with 'growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/zero'.

This should work, or try the respective cdrecord blank=
command (all or fast).

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany