Xorg 7.5, XFCE4 and radeon

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Tue May 4 21:03:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, 4 May 2010, Jimmie James wrote:

> Along with not being to start xfce4 many times,

The workaround is to deinstall xfce4-session, or just keep trying until
xfce starts.

> I've also lost the resolution of 1600x1200 using any driver. Using the
> VESA driver I can get 1280x1024 and start xfce4 all the time, using
> the radeon, ati or radeonhd, 1600x1200 is "washed out".
>
> All of this was working fine before the Xorg update.  I can supply more
> information if needed.

First, try starting X without an xorg.conf.  It should use radeon and at
least give you an Xorg.log which identifies problems.

If that doesn't work, try generating a new xorg.conf.  Things that
looked weird in the current one: AllowEmptyInput (It's bad(TM)),
DefaultDepth 16 (maybe due to limited VRAM), AccelMethod EXA commented,
no 1600x1200 mode entry.  And you have some Intel leftovers from the
original that won't hurt but look confusing.