Xorg 7.5, XFCE4 and radeon

Jerry freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Tue May 4 19:06:12 UTC 2010

On Tue, 04 May 2010 14:48:39 -0400
Jimmie <jimmiejaz at gmail.com> articulated:

> Along with not being to start xfce4 many times, I've also lost the
> resolution of 1600x1200 using any driver. Using the VESA driver I can
> get 1280x1024 and start xfce4 all the time, using the radeon, ati or
> radeonhd, 1600x1200 is "washed out".
>
> All of this was working fine before the Xorg update.  I can supply
> more information if needed.

[snip]

There is at least one PR filed against this. A quick work around is to
delete 'xfce4-session' from your PC and then start Xfce4. It should
start correctly although you will be missing the services supplied by
the 'session' add-on, which is required I believe by the xfce meta
port. At least you can get Xfce4 up and running.

I cannot believe that this update was vetted thoroughly, however, it is
a little to late to bitch about it now. These sort of problems are
becoming all to common place lately, IMHO.

--
Jerry
FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net