boot Debian on a RouterStation Pro

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Tue May 4 14:26:44 UTC 2010

On Mon, 3 May 2010 20:58:33 -0600, Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:
> I read the magazine article title as "to everyone who wants a
> linux/unix like system, FreeBSD is the professional choice"

While "like" indicates a similarity between Linux and FreeBSD,
which is valid because similarities do exist, the heading quoted,
"FreeBSD - the professional Linux" suggests that FreeBSD is a
Linux. The relations are "is like a" vs. "is a". There are
other relations, like "is derived from" or "is an implementation
of" when putting FreeBSD and other BSDs, Linux distributions,
Solaris, and rather generic names like UNIX into relations with
each other. This shows up in a part of your quote - FreeBSD is
considered a "UNIX like system"; FreeBSD's web page states that
is is "Based on BSD UNIX (R)", but I think it's possible to say
that it is a UNIX, too, as you commonly also say about other
commerical UNIXes that have roots in (historical) BSD.

Semiotics, dear Watson. :-)

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany