KSE (Kernel Supported Threading) support in FreeBSD 8.0

Alejandro Imass ait at p2ee.org
Tue May 4 13:28:40 UTC 2010

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Ivan Voras <ivoras at freebsd.org> wrote:
> On 05/04/10 00:38, Bruce Cran wrote:
[...]
> Note that only KSE was removed; threading is of course fully supported by
> other mechanisms.

Does anyone know of a paper(s) that compare the different threading
model of say FBSD, Linux and OpenSolaris, etc. ?

As a programmer, I know the basic theory and _effects_ of using
threads vs. processes vs. EDA/SEDA, etc., and in fact I use threads in
several applications, like Perl Gtk2 and also web-based software using
Apache mod_worker and mod_perl. But I haven't stumbled uppon
information that does a comparison of the different threading models
in the most popular Open Source OSs.

I have 'heard' people say the OpenSolaris' threading model is quite
different and supposedly better that other *nix´s in general, but is
that actualy true? Or is that just applied to Java? How would one know
especially in Open Source systems where you may have different
threading models (like in FBSD uthreads, kse, etc.)?

Thanks beforehand,
Alejandro Imass