Finding out when a child process forks or calls exec

Dan McNulty dkmcnulty at gmail.com
Mon May 3 21:10:15 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I am trying to port a debugging tool that uses the ptrace interface
from Linux to FreeBSD. From what I can tell, the ptrace interface on
FreeBSD is pretty similar to the Linux interface; however, it doesn't
appear that the FreeBSD interface generate events when the child
process forks, calls exec, creates a new LWP, etc. My question then
is:

Does FreeBSD provide any way to determine from a parent/tracing
process if a child process has called fork, exec, exit, or created a
new LWP?

Thanks for your help,

-Dan