ziz a dumb question?

Chris Whitehouse cwhiteh at onetel.com
Sun May 2 20:43:11 UTC 2010

Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 01 May 2010 11:59:52 +0100, Chris Whitehouse <cwhiteh at onetel.com> wrote:
>> Seriously? Or joking? How did you measure it?
>
> Well... erm... in fact... I didn't measure anything, I just
> utilized the numbers. :-) Modern PCs come with a 700 W power
> supply (and more), and the specs for my AS/400e 9406-170 say
> 654 W with expansion unit (326 W without), measured kVA values
> (according to manual) are similar. Weight is 70.5 kg, and
> size is two big towers side by side.

Well plenty of people have replied since so no more to add   , except
you may well win on watts per kilogram   :)

>> My 2 year old desktop uses
>> 60-100 watts depending on how hard it's working.
>
> Sounds like a notebook / laptop class computer.

No it really is a desktop, AMD 3500+ dual core, onboard graphics, but
not including the screen.

>> 10 disks and lots of
>> noise must use a few watts, though size and weight wouldn't have that
>> much influence per se :)
>
> But it's more than 10 years old, too old to seriously
> measure something! :-)

but seriously its worth measuring if you want to control your energy
use. I measured electricity use of my  work computer, a standard dell
machine. Consumption while in (Windows) shutdown mode is one third of
'in use' consumption and it is in use for about one quarter of the time.
  So if I don't turn it off at the mains (wall) socket it uses as much
electricity  while not in use as while in use.  Getting anyone to take
notice in a corporate environment is impossible but that's another story
        sigh!

Chris

ps sorry OP, getting a bit OT