ziz a dumb question?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat May 1 22:33:34 UTC 2010

On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 12:32:49PM -0600, Chad Perrin wrote:
> On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 03:58:36AM +1000, David Rawling wrote:
> >
> > Servers tend to be worse - I have a matched pair of Acer servers with
> > single 3GHz P4 class Xeons, 2GB of RAM, 3 x 7200rpm disks and dual NICs.
> > Those systems pull 220W and they're the next ones I'm ditching for
> > something that uses less power!
>
> . . . and they still draw significantly less power than an LCD television
> plus DVR, even if you add in the power draw of an LCD monitor.
>
> If you're really concerned about power consumption, make sure that you
> look for the "bottleneck", just as you would when trying to get better
> performance out of your computer or your network.  Even if your computer
> is drawing a whole lot of power, you might be better off replacing your
> television and DVR unit with a computer than replacing the computer with
> another computer that draws less power.

	hmm.  a year++ ago i bought a hidef tv for around $1K.
	(remember, guys, your wives are going to want [[order you]]
	to buy a $zillion wood enclousure.  whatever it's called.
	20' long stand, cabinet+shelves.  plus this totally useless
	But pricey thing on top that runs across the cabinets.  so
	yeah, we got rid of our olden 400w tv set and vcr.)

	in short, do it because it's thhe right thing, not
	necessarily the most cost effective thing.

    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
           http://journey.thought.org  99 44/100% Guaranteed Novel