Firefox3 - can't deinstall

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sat May 1 22:26:18 UTC 2010

On Sat, 1 May 2010, John Pollock wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 13:13 -0600, Warren Block wrote:
>> On Sat, 1 May 2010, John Pollock wrote:
>>
>>> Am running FreeBSD 8.0 p2, and had installed Firefox3.
>>> Since it keeps crashing when viewing some web pages, I wanted to
>>> deinstall it.
>>>
>>> When I cd /usr/ports/www/firefox3 then run make deinstall, I get a error
>>> message that port is not installed.
>>
>> What message, exactly?  The Firefox ports have moved around, and you may
>> be trying to uninstall one that isn't actually installed.
>>
>>> Which brings up a question, when installing using ports I normally run
>>> make install clean.
>>>
>>> Does this prevent then at later date make deinstall?
>>
>> No.
>
> Although, I've closed the console that had the message. It basically
> stated: Can't make deinstall, firefox3 not installed. <-- something to
> that effect.
>
> However, the pkg_delete command was able to deinstall it.

No, this is exactly what I meant.  Firefox ports changed names not too
long ago.  The port you were in was not the one that was actually
installed (or it had changed names).

> Thank you, for the information about make clean part of the command.
>
> I think the problem, was that I had installed FreeBSD 8.0 RELEASE, then
> added the firefox3 port, then about a few weeks later upgraded to "p2"
> version and ran portupgrade.

That's fine, should work with no problems.  As long as you don't change
FreeBSD versions (like going from FreeBSD 8 to 9), you can continue to
upgrade ports without problems.

> All is good right now. Have firefox35 now installed and working.

Unfortunately, that's an obsolete port now.  www/firefox is the main
one, currently at version 3.6.