ziz a dumb question?

Gary Kline kline at thought.org
Sat May 1 22:19:34 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 02, 2010 at 03:58:36AM +1000, David Rawling wrote:
> On 1/05/2010 11:55 PM, Polytropon wrote:
> >On Sat, 01 May 2010 11:59:52 +0100, Chris Whitehouse<cwhiteh at onetel.com>
> >wrote:

	[[ .... ]]

> Core 2 Duo E7400 (about 3GHz), single 7200rpm disk, embedded graphics
> and network - 44W to 60W depending on what's happening at the time.
> Adding a discrete GPU (I don't recall the model, but knowing me it's
> probably a low-end ATI 3000 series) adds 10-30W, again depending on load.

	interesting that a 2-core is about what my ibm thinkpad
	3.08ghz is rated at.  it's from '05, used, natch, and i had
	ram and a harddrive upgrade.  just my 0.02cents' worth.

> Another Core 2 system, an E5200 I think, with 2 x 7200rpm notebook
> disks, 4GB, embedded graphics and network is also measured at around 45W.
>
> I have an overclocked E6300 (running at 2.66GHz, so a 25% overclock),
> 3GB of RAM, 2 x 7200rpm desktop drives, and a GeForce 7600 that pulls
> 140W. Note that overclocking generally disables power saving features
> and increases power use (linear with clock, square with voltage).
>
> Servers tend to be worse - I have a matched pair of Acer servers with
> single 3GHz P4 class Xeons, 2GB of RAM, 3 x 7200rpm disks and dual NICs.
> Those systems pull 220W and they're the next ones I'm ditching for
> something that uses less power!

	i leave most of my boxen running 24/7, so it adds up.  when
	my new 2005 custom-built 2.8ghz box died last fall, i hauled
	it out.  i did have to buy the new Dell Core Duo (or
	whatever); that was months of head banging and begging
	favors.  and because my kvm wires are not plugged in
	correctly, i can't get to the server to (1) add X11 + KDE and
	(2) do anything graphic with ~kline on that system.

	so waiting for somebody i can ask to come over and figure out
	what's going on.  THEN, i'll add my backup 2- or 4-core box
	as a server backup and to run pc-bsd on.

> All the numbers above are measurements before the PSU input (using the
> Australian version of the "Kill-A-Watt") so include the losses due to
> the PSU itself.
>
> To go back to Gary's question, however, I would suggest that the new
> Core i3 series of processors, along with a new board, will use
> substantially less power than is marked on the PSU, especially if he is
> not continually encoding video, rendering animation or designing the
> next Sydney Harbour Bridge (replace with your own national monument if
> desired). I use this in my HTPC, and it's quite capable of supporting
> two XBox media extenders and encoding 576p video in close enough to real
> time, all simultaneously; while doing so it's probably using less than
> 110W of electricity.

	:-) more decoding than ecoding since i watch a lot of public
	tv streams.  because the house is only around 15meter above
	sea level, i'm keep an eye out for how how the sound rises
	here in seattle.  i'm thinking of planting some palm trees
	and retiring to Nome eventually... .  (do you hear these
	idjots who still believe the earth if flat and that global
	warming is a commie plot || whatever?  ...i just snap off the
	radio!)

	thanks for the core i3 series advice, dave. i'll surf around.

	gary

:wq

    The 7.83a release of Jottings: http://jottings.thought.org/index.php
           http://journey.thought.org  99 44/100% Guaranteed Novel