USB mount delay

Anselm Strauss amsibamsi at gmail.com
Sat May 1 11:27:18 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have the problem that on my ALIX system USB is first powered up when
the FreeBSD kernel is loading. When local filesystems are mounted the
USB disk is not yet ready and booting fails giving me a shell prompt.
Shortly after I see the kernel message for the recognized /dev/da0 USB
disk, mount it manually and booting can continue. Unfortunately I have
to do this manual step every time I boot. The root filesystem is not
mounted from USB. The USB disk has non-system relevant data.

Is there any way to either tell the kernel to wait some time before
mounting local filesystems from USB disks, or to mount filesystems later
during boot?

I already tried the following sysctl variables in /boot/loader.conf with
values of 3000-5000 ms, they did not help:

kern.cam.scsi_delay: Delay to allow devices to settle after a SCSI bus
reset (ms)
hw.usb.ss_delay: USB status stage delay in ms
hw.usb.pr_recovery_delay: USB port reset recovery delay in ms

hw.usb.no_boot_wait is set to 0.

Thanks,
Anselm