More than 8 partitions

Jon Theil Nielsen jontheil at gmail.com
Sat May 1 00:53:40 UTC 2010

2010/5/1 C. P. Ghost <cpghost at cordula.ws>

> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 1:58 AM, Jon Theil Nielsen <jontheil at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > So it is *not* possible to have more than 8 partitions?  Just a matter of
> > interest, since I'm experimenting here. But nice to know.
>
> Unlike OpenBSD's disklabel(8) which supports up to 15 partitions,
> bsdlabel(8)
> supports only 8 partitions (including the whole disk):
>
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=disklabel&sektion=8
>

> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/man.cgi?query=bsdlabel&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=FreeBSD+8.0-RELEASE&format=html
>
> -cpghost.
>
> --
> Cordula's Web. http://www.cordula.ws/

I am very far from being an expert on these issues. And this link is
certainly not  "documentation":
http://ivoras.sharanet.org/freebsd/freebsd8.html
But if I look into the source code of bsdlabel
(/usr/src/sbin/bsdlabel/bsdlabel.c), I can see this:
#define MAXPARTITIONS   26
which at least tells me that is has been the *intention* that it should be
possible.

Regards,
Jon