How to make "man" pages

Jerry freebsd.user at seibercom.net
Wed Mar 31 09:34:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, 31 Mar 2010 15:54:25 +0800, Fbsd1 <fbsd1 at a1poweruser.com>
articulated:

> >> On 31/03/2010 04:00:15, Fbsd1 wrote:
> >> Where can I find documentation on the procedure to create "man"
> >> pages for a port?
> >
> > If you want to write a man page from scratch, probably the best way
> > to get started is to just copy a man page from the base system and
> > edit it to taste.  See groff(1) for documentation on the command
> > used to format man pages from source, and groff_mdoc(7) for details
> > on the groff macro syntax.  groff+mdoc might be a markup language,
> > but it's nothing at all like HTML.
> >
> > If you're after how to install man pages for a port, then look at:
> >
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/makefile-manpages.html
> >
> > Note that the MANX and other ports Macros only affect the pkg-list
> > and compressing the man pages /after/ installation. You'll still
> > have to put in some code to copy your self-written man page into
> > place.
> >
> > 	Cheers,
> >
> > 	Matthew
> >
> OK i want to write a man page from scratch. So lets say i want to use
> /usr/share/man/man2/jail.2.gz as my starting sample. How do I convert
> this .gz file to a plain text file so I can edit it with ee? And how
> do I turn the edited text file back in to a man page .gz file?

If you visit this URL:
<http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/writingscripts.html> you will see
links to various scripts. One of them is for creating 'man' pages:
<http://www.tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/contributed-scripts.html#MANED>

You might want to investigate its usefulness for your project.

--
Jerry
FreeBSD.user at seibercom.net

FORTUNE REMEMBERS THE GREAT MOTHERS: #5

	"And, and, and, and, but, but, but, but!"

	Mrs. Janice Markowsky, April 8, 1965