dd cloning slightly different disks

Christoph Kukulies kuku at kukulies.org
Tue Mar 30 16:26:38 UTC 2010

Jerry McAllister schrieb:
> On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 05:47:44PM +0200, Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>

>> Though not 100% FreeBSD centric, my question, I know that disk
>> partitioning experts are around here.
>> My noteook HD is a WD 5000BEVT, (500GB). Today I bought a Kingston SDnowV+
>> Solid State drive, 512GB, with the intention to make my notebook a bit
>> faster. It's an Intel Core 2 Duo,
>> 7400 CPU.
>>
>> The WD disk shows as having 976773168 sectors (500108 MB),
>> the SSD has 1000215216 sectors (512110 MB).
>>
>> At the moment I'm copying (dd) from the WD internal disk to the SSD
>> which I had put into
>> an external SATA Icybox.
>>
>> I'm hoping to be able to use my FreeBSD and Windows partitions
>> afterwards somehow,
>> possibly with some geometry tweaking or what. Due to the different disk
>> geometry
>> I'm expecting that the partition table entries will be wrong.
>>
>> Any clues how I should proceed when the copy will be done in 7 hours or
>> so? (20MB/s
>> is the transfer rate I got from a short test that I did before starting
>> the big copy).
>>

> Well, this could possibly work, but I wonder why you want to do it
> this way.    I would be inclined to divide the disk as desired, do
> the MSW install in the first slice and then get a FeeBSD fixit and
> partition the other slice and then use dump/restore to move the FreeBSD
> stuff over.   That way you get the best fit for the new disk, no
> worries about tweaking geometry and no loss of the amount the new
> drive is bigger than the old one.

Reason was: I wanted to preserve all settings (Windows XP and FreeBSD)
and avoid any
reinstallation of packages or sth. and wanted to continue working with a
minimum of interruption.

Maybe I could  use the 12GB overspace  either later by assigning it an
extra partition or
grow some partition that is adjacent to the free space.

--
Christoph