Freebsd, postfix and push email

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Tue Mar 30 02:01:29 UTC 2010

On 3/27/10, perryh at pluto.rain.com <perryh at pluto.rain.com> wrote:
> Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 3/27/10, Ron (Lists) <rg.lists at rzweb.com> wrote:
>> > Is there a way to get my freebsd/postfix setup to send push
>> > notifications to an iPhone ... I know it can be done with
>> > Exchange and ActiveSync, but I don't want to run any kind of
>> > exchange server.
>>
>> Wouldn't push email be a function of your POP3 or IMAP server?
>> FreeBSD and Postfix are neither of those.
>
> Er, no.  POP3 and IMAP are "pull" services, wherein the client
> polls the server periodically for any newly-arrived messages.
> A client-level "push" service would need to operate similarly
> to biff(1)/comsat(8).

I've never heard of either, but when I configure my IMAP server and
put any mail client to it, as soon as a mail is delivered, the mail
client is notified.

I don't use biff or comsat or anything similar.  mine is a simple IMAP
server pushing it.

I'm anxious to really hear what this is...  I don't have any POP3/IMAP
enabled smartphones to test with.

--Tim