Problem with quotas on root partition on FreeBSD 8.0

M. Vale maurovale at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 17:46:24 UTC 2010

Hi, on FreeBSD 8.0 (i386 or AMD64) if we configure to use quotas on root
partition.

It stops on boot with the following message:

Trying to mount root from ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
mount option <userquota> is unknown
mount option <groupquota> is unknown
ROOT MOUNT ERROR: mount option <groupquota> is unknown
If you have invalid mount options, reboot, and first try the following from
the loader prompt:

     set vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw

and then remove invalid mount options from /etc/fstab.

Loader variables:
vfs.root.mountfrom=ufs:/dev/ad0s1a
vfs.root.mountfrom.options=rw,userquota,groupquota,acls

Manual root filesystem specification:
                       eg. ufs:/dev/da0s1a
                       eg. cd9660:/dev/acd0
                       This is equivalent to: mount -t cd9660 /dev/acd0 /

  ?                  List valid disk boot devices
  <empty line>       Abort manual input

mountroot>

If i do:

ufs:/dev/ad0s1a

Then the boot continues and it mount the quotas ok. but if I reboot the same
thing happen again.

This only occurs on FreeBSD 8.

Does anyone have a clue about the problem ?

Best Regards