When do binaries get removed?

Michael D. Norwick mnorwick at centurytel.net
Mon Mar 29 04:18:11 UTC 2010

Good evening;

I am using;
$uname -r
$8.0-RELEASE
hosted on Sun VirtualBox 3.1.6. (NOT O.S.E.) running on Debian 'lenny'.

I am a long time Debian GNU/Linux user who has just installed the above
release.  I have installed and used FreeBSD in years past but that was
around the 5.x-RELEASE.  I have had a time installing applications from
the ports tree (a story for another day) and finally resorted to
installing binaries from the install dvd to get a working X
distribution.  I wanted to start with the 'minimal' set of packages and
build from there.  3 trys at it failed at different points.  At the
moment I have the distributed binaries installed and am
compiling/installing gcc 4.4 and friends.
I have the current FreeBSD handbook but it does not seem to have the
answer to the following question.
When building and installing an application from ports, how does the
original binary or script, in /usr/bin, /usr/lib, /etc..., from the
distribution, get removed?  The make install foo command does not appear
to symlink the original application location to the new one in
/usr/local/whatever.  Does it even matter?   From reading various docs
on-line tonight it seems it might.

Thank You,
Michael D. Norwick