Compiling kernel with gcc43

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Thu Mar 25 01:56:50 UTC 2010

Hi;

I followed the instructions from
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/articles/custom-gcc/article.html

to see if I can achieve some performance gain (8-STABLE r205630 amd64) and
also get a more modern instruction set for my Phenom II (amdfam10), so I've
done the following config settings:

make.conf

.if !empty(.CURDIR:M/usr/ports/*) && exists(/usr/local/bin/gcc43)
CC=/usr/local/bin/gcc43
CXX=/usr/local/bin/g++43
CPP=/usr/local/bin/cpp43
CFLAGS+=-mssse3
CPUTYPE=amdfam10
.endif

libmap.conf

libgcc_s.so.1   gcc43/libgcc_s.so.1
libgomp.so.1    gcc43/libgomp.so.1
libobjc.so.3    gcc43/libobjc.so.2
libssp.so.0     gcc43/libssp.so.0
libstdc++.so.6  gcc43/libstdc++.so.6

buildworld goes on normally it seems, but when I tried to build the kernel,
the first stop came from the option used by the kernel build "-fformat-
extensions", which is not accepted by gcc43, so I took it out of
/usr/src/sys/conf/kern.mk, the ONLY place I found it.

It seemed to solve the problem until gcc43 stopped because of the "-Werror"
option, which is all over the place!. Funny that gcc42 (used by default)
doesn't stop because of this option.

Anyway,my question boils down to: Is there a way to build the kernel with
gcc43, with minimal tweaking? Am i attempting something out of my league?

Thanks,
--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br