sftp server with speed throttling

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Sun Mar 21 17:31:43 UTC 2010

On 21/03/2010 13:53:16, Dan Naumov wrote:
> What are my options if I want to run an sftp server with speed
> throttling? My understanding is that openssh (which includes sftp) in
> base does not support this directly, so I would have to either use a
> custom kernel with ALTQ (and I would really rather stick to GENERIC so
> I can use freebsd-update) which sounds like a bit too much
> configuration work or pass sftp traffic through PF and throttle it
> (ugly, would also affect ssh traffic).

That's not an either-or.  ALTQ is PF's traffic shaping mechanism.
Unfortunately, yes, ALTQ needs to be compiled into the kernel rather
than being loaded as a .ko.  Also, PF cannot distinguish sftp traffic
from other ssh traffic: all you can do is rate limit port 22 stuff.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                  Flat 3
                                                  Kent, CT11 9PW