Elegant way to hack port source

Charlie Kester corky1951 at comcast.net
Fri Mar 19 22:21:46 UTC 2010

On Fri 19 Mar 2010 at 15:07:44 PDT Paul Schmehl wrote:
>--On Friday, March 19, 2010 15:01:27 -0700 Charlie Kester
><corky1951 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>Again, no need for the separate 'make extract' step.
>>In fact, I'd go straight to 'make build' or 'make install' here, and
>>skip the separate 'make patch' too.
>>

>Thanks, Charles.  You taught me something today. :-)

You're welcome.  We're here to help.  :)

The main point I wanted to make was to run "make patch" BEFORE
editing the port's sourcecode, so you don't lose the work done by
the maintainer

And you would lose that if you simply did "make extract" and then
started hacking on the result.  Or, what amounts to the same thing, if
you grabbed the distfile and unzipped it into your home directory or
somewhere.