shrink /usr size

Frank Wißmann frank.wissmann41 at web.de
Thu Mar 18 16:58:47 UTC 2010

Hello!

????? ????? schrieb:
> 2010/3/18 Aiza <aiza21 at comclark.com>
>
>> /usr is the last partition in the slice. It has 15GB and only 600mb used. I
>> would like to shrink /usr to 7GB leaving me 7GB for another new partition
>> for mysql DB testing. How do I shrink /usr?
>>

> The same question: how to extend existed one?
>
> I'm going to change HDD on server to a bigger one and dd from old to new,
> but in this case the space visible to FreeBSD would be the same, how to make
> it grow?

Use growfs. But that only works with an empty space after the partition
you intend to grow. "man growfs" will give you some hints.

Greetings Frank

--
GU d- s:+ a+ C+>$ UBS>$ P L- !E--- W N+@ !o K--? !w--- O !M- !V- PS+ PE
Y? !PGP- t+ 5 X !R tv- b++ DI !D G e h+ r- y?

When pack meets pack in the jungle
and no one will move from the trail
wait till the leaders have spoken
it may be fair words shall prevail