Measuring Free memory

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Wed Mar 17 20:47:41 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 20:31:04 Adam Vande More wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 11:25 AM, Mario Lobo <lobo at bsd.com.br> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 17 March 2010 19:03:03 Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> > > First, you'll need a precise definition of what you mean by "free
> >
> > memory".
> >
> > Free physical memory available.
> >
> > > Add the "-H" flag to get that value more precise.  I suspect, however,
> > > that precision isn't really the right term for what you're after.
> >
> > I caught the -H flag right after I wrote the mail. The result has to be
> > multiplied by 1024.
> >
> > It's possible you're right but what I am trying to do is to monitor the
> > amount
> > of free physical memory still on the system.
> >
> > To make a long story short, I am in a long stretch in trying to find out
> > why
> > 8-STABLE amd64+VBox+nvidia driver is freezing my system to power button
> > point.
>
> Well I hope you find the issue, I'm experiencing the same issue siimplying
> trying to csup from 8-RELEASE to  8-STABLE.  From what I've been able to
> gather I think this only applicable to amd64.  You might have a different
> reason for wanting to know this, but I can assure you my lockups aren't due
> to a lack of memory from the host anyways.  I have an order of magnitude
> more free memory(according to top) in my hosts than my VM requires when
>  it's running and it still locks on every csup attempt.
>
> Mem: 112M Active, 12M Inact, 1543M Wired, 632K Cache, 2245M Free
>
> VM is set to use 256MB.

Its sounds as if your FreeBSD is a GUEST. For me, FreeBSD is the HOST.

For what its worth, the recently released nvidia driver improved something.
SO FAR, disabling GL everywhere has stopped the freezes. I've been able to run
all guests I have (one at a time for now) and none of them froze my host.

--
Mario Lobo
http://www.mallavoodoo.com.br