Measuring Free memory

Mario Lobo lobo at bsd.com.br
Wed Mar 17 19:24:25 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 17 March 2010 19:03:03 Lowell Gilbert wrote:
> First, you'll need a precise definition of what you mean by "free memory".

Free physical memory available.

> Add the "-H" flag to get that value more precise.  I suspect, however,
> that precision isn't really the right term for what you're after.

I caught the -H flag right after I wrote the mail. The result has to be
multiplied by 1024.

It's possible you're right but what I am trying to do is to monitor the amount
of free physical memory still on the system.

To make a long story short, I am in a long stretch in trying to find out why
8-STABLE amd64+VBox+nvidia driver is freezing my system to power button point.

> Have you seen:
>  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/misc.html#TOP-FREEMEM
> and
>  http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/admin.html#FREE-MEMOR