More ZIP Problems

Programmer In Training pit at joseph-a-nagy-jr.us
Tue Mar 16 15:11:59 UTC 2010

OK, so I got the disk mounted as it was. Then I used fdisk to reformat
it (probably not the best tool to do so, but it worked) to the default
FreeBSD fs as I have no plans on using it on a Windows box, ever.

[root at heaven]mount /dev/afd0s1 /mnt/zip
mount: /dev/afd0s1 : Invalid argument
[root at heaven]fdisk /dev/afd0
******* Working on device /dev/afd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=195 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=195 heads=16 sectors/track=63 (1008 blks/cyl)

Media sector size is 512
Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165 (0xa5),(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 63, size 196497 (95 Meg), flag 80 (active)
        beg: cyl 0/ head 1/ sector 1;
        end: cyl 194/ head 15/ sector 63
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 4 is:
<UNUSED>

A quick check of the devices shows us:

[root at heaven]ls /dev/afd*
/dev/afd0    /dev/afd0s1

so I am trying to mount the right part.

The only results I got back from startpage involve Minix[0] and
Debian[1] (and my previous posts on getting the drive mounted earlier,
when it still had a Windows fs).

And Poly, I don't believe my drive has that issue you mentioned (aka
click of death). Though this is actually the first time I've had it
hooked up and running since I've owned the drive (and I don't remember
where I got it from). I have 4 ZIP disks so if I lose one to finding out
the drive is junk, no biggie. There was nothing on this one anyway.

[0]:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/other-nix-55/minix-mount-cant-mount-devfd0-on-floppy-invalid-argument-481879/
The last post in that discussion tells the user to access the hardware
directly. I always figured using the /dev/whatever /was/ access the
hardware directly. Eh.
[1]: http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2004/01/msg01302.html
Not really relevant but including it for completeness. All the other
results are junk.
--
Yours In Christ,

PIT
Original content copyright under the OWL http://owl.apotheon.org
Please do not CC me. If I'm posting to a list it is because I am subscribed.