/etc/rc.conf and NFS

RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Tue Mar 16 12:59:08 UTC 2010

On Mon, 15 Mar 2010 21:38:39 -0400
Joe Auty <joe at netmusician.org> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have my /usr/local partition hosted on an NFS share which is mounted
> at boot. Do you have any theories as to why my various services
> (Apache, Postfix, MySQL) listed in /etc/rc.conf do not start up
> automatically at boot, and I have to do this manually?
> When /usr/local is hosted locally these services start up fine on
> their own at boot time.

You probably need to set early_late_divider.

rc reads in and orders the scripts in /etc/rc.d before it executes any
of them, and this list is fixed. When it reaches $early_late_divider, it
creates a new list that includes the local directory
obviously /usr/local/etc must be mounted at this point.

Bear in mind that a local script that's ordered before
early_late_divider is ignored.