fstab NFS mount option recommendations

Joe Auty joe at netmusician.org
Sat Mar 13 23:33:37 UTC 2010

Hello,

I'm presenting NFS shares to some FreeBSD VM guests with the following
mount options (from my /etc/fstab):

nfsserverip:mymount     /mountdir  nfs
rw,tcp,intr,noatime,nfsv3,-w=32768,-r=32768 0 0

This seems to work well, except I have to manually load MySQL, Apache,
and Postfix at boot time, as my /usr/local directory is hosted on my NFS
share on this test server (these start up normally when /usr/local
resides on a local hard drive). Is it generally a bad idea to host a
share like this on NFS? I'm thinking that it probably is and am happy to
serve this locally if this would be better. However, if this is not a
red flag and there is a way to get these services to start up on their
own at boot, could you please let me know?

How about the wsize and rsize numbers? I was unable to find any
resources for determining what these numbers best be set as for FreeBSD
as a VM guest. Any pointers?

Thanks in advance for your help!

--
Joe Auty, NetMusician
NetMusician helps musicians, bands and artists create beautiful,