Replacing Home Router With PC

Thu Mar 11 01:41:10 UTC 2010

I've got an old Linksys router hanging off of my cable modem that is several years old and is about to die (very poor wireless throughput should be 54 mb and is 2, runs hot, and "buzzes" while turned on).  I've got an older PC that would great as a router....however I also need it to be a wireless access point for my house.  It has a PCI wireless network card (A 54G Belkin, not sure of the exact model).  I know FreeBSD is technically capable for acting as my DHCP, DNS, router, gateway box if properly configured.  The question is, can it use that wireless card to act as a access point instead of a client (how the card is intended to be used)?

Also, any links anyone can provide on how to setup a FreeBSD box to act as home router/gateway would be much appreciated!