Silicon Image SiI 3124 and 3132 RAID controllers

Leslie Jensen leslie at eskk.nu
Wed Mar 10 20:56:57 UTC 2010

I'm trying to install FreeBSD 8-RELEASE on a machine with an Abit
aw8-max MB. This MB has a built in SiI 3132 RAID controller. I also have
an addon card with a SiI 3124 RAID controller.

The problem is that I can see the 2 disks and the RAID1 set that I want
to use for the system if I connect the disks to the built in 3132
controller. But if I connect the disks to the 3124 controller and create
a RAID1 set, only the disks can be seen.

I need to be able to use both controllers because I've got four disks
that I want to build a RAID5 set on one of the controllers.

Can anyone shed some light on this. Via Google I've read some articles
about these controllers and I'm aware that I might have to rethink
because of lacking support for the 3124 controller.

I've read in the ata man page that parameters can be added to
/boot/device.hints but I'm not sure how to handle this during installation.

/Leslie