powerd on 8.0, is it considered safe?

Dan Naumov dan.naumov at gmail.com
Mon Mar 8 16:40:30 UTC 2010

OK, now I feel a bit stupid. The second half of my PR at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=144551 (anything related to
powerd behaviour) can be ignored. For testing purposes, I started
powerd in the foreground and observed it's behaviour. It works exactly
as advertised and apparently the very act of issuing a "sysctl -a |
grep dev.cpu.0.freq" command uses up a high % of CPU time for a
fraction of a second, resulting in confusing output, I was always
getting the highest cpu frequency state as the output. Testing powerd
in foreground however, shows correct behaviour, CPU is downclocked
both before and after issuing that command :)

Still doesn't explain why the system boots up at 1249 Mhz, but that's
not that big of an issue at this point now I see that powerd is
behaving correctly.

- Sincerely,
Dan Naumov