KDE firefox integration

Josh Paetzel jpaetzel at freebsd.org
Sun Mar 7 15:10:58 UTC 2010

On Sunday 07 March 2010 08:13:53 Elias Chrysoheris wrote:
> On Sunday 07 of March 2010 15:56:15 Anselm Strauss wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I noticed that in PC-BSD 8 firefox is nicely integrated into KDE. Anybody
> > knows how to achieve this on FreeBSD 8?
> >
> > Anselm
>
> I believe you mean that you need KDE to open Firefox whenever you click on
> a link. That's easy. From your KDE menu, open "System Settings" (in the
> first tab, "favorites")
> Then select "Default Applications". Then, in the left list of the
> applications, choose "Web browser", and at the right part of the screen
> choose the radio button "in the following browser" and in the edit box
> enter the "/usr/local/bin/firefox3". Then apply the new settings.
>
> Elias

Another trick that PC-BSD uses....which might be more of what you are asking
about is the installation of a port called x11-themes/gtk-qt4-engine  This
port allows gtk applications to be displayed using qt, which helps integrate
the look of things like FF, Thunderbird, OOo with KDE.

--
Thanks,

Josh Paetzel
FreeBSD -- The power to serve