Flash viewer for FBSD

Sabine Baer baerks at t-online.de
Sun Mar 7 06:28:12 UTC 2010

On Sat, Mar 06, 2010 at 09:25:41AM +0100, Polytropon wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 09:03:58 +0100, Sabine Baer <baerks at t-online.de> wrote:
> > Well, it is, indeed. Me I am very glad beeing able to do eg
> > linux-opera -display :0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhmf4l4OxNw
> > since I live in a Windows free zone at home.
>
> Well, there's always "youtube-dl -a" for that. Just for YT
> I don't need "Flash". The "need", to illustrate that, is
> often nothing more than a useless barrier built by people
> who don't seem to know better.

OK, I really didn't know youtube_dl (and clive someone mentioned in
the thread). So, thanks a lot.  I youtube-dl-ed my puff pastry examle.
It took me 5 minutes and 11.69M space on diks but then I was able to
look at it using mplayer. Fine.  Same with clive. Fine too.

[...]

> If a "web designer" abuses (!) "Flash" to raise a barrier,
> to make content unavailable, then I am surely not his target
> audience. That's his decision, and I accept it. (By the way,
> "barrier-free web" and thinking about how disabled people
> can participate on informations is something that needs
> an educated point of view and some intelligence to consider
> it. Still, there are "web developers" who can't provide
> this, and so can't their work.)

Yes, that's all very true.
I remember, when I had linux-fc4 installed and flashplugin7, I tried
to look at a video on the site http://www.hr-online.de. The only
result was "you haven't the latest version of Adobe's Flash Player".
I wrote an email to them and got an answer (that's remarkable, not
'normal', I wrote 2 complaints about accessibility to given contact
addresses at European community sites and didn't get any answer) but
it wasn't helpful.
Well, this site and http://news.bbc.co.uk as well are "barrier-free"
so I can use them with lynx only and the videos are a surplus.
But I am in the "target audience" of www.hr-online.de at least.
BTW, neither clive nor youtube-dl (sic!) can download a video from
those sites.

Of course, it is the fault of the 'web designers' ignoring those who
deny using 'quasi standard OS' and 'quasi standard applications'.
But I'm tired of sitting in front of my monitor and thinking 'if they
don't want me to look at their content, it's their misfortune'.

Sabine

--
Nun hat Client B ein "überaus schlaues Tool" laufen, welches augen-
blicklich "Einbruch! Zonenalarm! Hülfäää!!!" schreit, was ziemlich