Debug still in kernel

Tim Judd tajudd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 6 20:13:05 UTC 2010

On 3/6/10, Jason Garrett <kingedgar at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 6, 2010 at 13:51, Tim Judd <tajudd at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 3/6/10, Jason Garrett <kingedgar at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hello all,
>> >
>> > I am currently tracking RELENG_8_0. I did a csup last night and noticed
>> that
>> > debug is still enabled in the GENERIC kernel. I thought debugging was
>> > supposed to be left out once the 8 branch went RELEASE? Can anyone shed
>> > light on this subject?
>>
>> What makes you think debugging is still on?
>>

> >From /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/GENERIC
>
> makeoptions     DEBUG=-g                # Build kernel with gdb(1) debug
> symbols
> options         PREEMPTION              # Enable kernel thread preemption
>
> why are these still in GENERIC after release?

I can confirm debug symbols is still in the kernel, but that is most
likely used for backtraces and debugging when a kernel panic happens.
This is instead of asking the user who had a kernel panic to rebuild
with debugging to debug it.

PREEMPTION as I understand it should have been removed from the kernel
config file.  It should have been removed from the GENERIC config file
after RELENG_8_0_RELEASE tag is made.  I don't know what your tag is
when you update.  Perhaps you're copying or using a config file from
the BETA or RC days?

I'll help until I can't help no more with your issue.

--Tim