Flash viewer for FBSD

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Sat Mar 6 13:48:40 UTC 2010

On Mar 5, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Pongthep Kulkrisada wrote:
> * Warren Block (wblock at wonkity.com) wrote:
>> When you upgrade from 7.x to 8.x, it's necessary to rebuild *all*
>> ports.
>
> Thanks for your suggestion, but it does not seem likely.
>
> All operating systems can always distinguish the system and packages.
> For instance, gcc is tightly coupled with the system, it will be
> upgraded automatically while upgrading the system.
> Some people only use console, they should rebuild all ports relating
> to their work.
> They do not have to rebuild KDE or GNOME, for example.
>
> I myself, after upgrading the system, I always rebuild MOST of
> textual ports like
> vim, fetchmail, apache, etc and all ports required by them.
> For GUI application, I keep updating ONLY web browser because the
> old version is usually prone to vulnerability issues.
>
> If it is not enough, please tell me. :-)

Yes, it's not enough.

When you upgrade the base OS to a new major version (ie, going from
7.x to 8.x), the system libraries get bumped to a new version, but any
libraries coming from ports are still linked against the older version
of the frameworks.  If you don't touch anything, backwards
compatibility for 7.x will continue to work fine, but as soon as you
start installing something new or upgrade any port, you run into the
situation where executables are linked against two different versions
of libc.so (etc) and they break.

For all practical purposes, if you upgrade to a new major version,
then you must rebuild all installed ports.

Regards,
--
-Chuck