Flash viewer for FBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Mar 6 08:25:44 UTC 2010

On Sat, 6 Mar 2010 09:03:58 +0100, Sabine Baer <baerks at t-online.de> wrote:
> Well, it is, indeed. Me I am very glad beeing able to do eg
> linux-opera -display :0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhmf4l4OxNw
> since I live in a Windows free zone at home.

Well, there's always "youtube-dl -a" for that. Just for YT
I don't need "Flash". The "need", to illustrate that, is
often nothing more than a useless barrier built by people
who don't seem to know better. As I said before, most things
that "Flash" can do could be achieved with standardized (!)
and free means. And often, "Flash" is (ab)used to do idiotic
things like simply providing animated buttons.

> It might be a stupid example and not at all the aim of all those
> noble guys working on FreeBSD but, again, I am very glad they did.

I am too, and I'd like to emphasize this. Without the work
done to make "Flash" availabe on FreeBSD, I would never know
how annoying it can be.

If a "web designer" abuses (!) "Flash" to raise a barrier,
to make content unavailable, then I am surely not his target
audience. That's his decision, and I accept it. (By the way,
"barrier-free web" and thinking about how disabled people
can participate on informations is something that needs
an educated point of view and some intelligence to consider
it. Still, there are "web developers" who can't provide
this, and so can't their work.)

> It might be a kind of 'Splendid Isolation' refusing things the rest of
> the world uses and it has its very merits but sometimes it's not bad
> to be part of the rest of the world.

Erm, I don't consider "rest of the world" to be a reason for
my decisions; in fact, they are of technical and usage nature.
Just because everyone else jumps out of the window doesn't
create a need for me to jump out of the window myself. :-)

Honestly: If "Flash" would be something standardized, freely
available and acceptably performant, in best case coming
integrated with the browser (including an option to switch
it off) - just like images are processed by Opera - then
I wouldn't do what I do now: I just ignore it.

With the upcoming HTML 5 standard, there's even a chance that
"Flash" will be ignored by the rest of the world sooner
or later.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany