Flash viewer for FBSD

Polytropon freebsd at edvax.de
Sat Mar 6 03:49:19 UTC 2010

On Fri, 5 Mar 2010 23:02:36 -0000, "Graham Bentley" <admin at cpcnw.co.uk> wrote:

> > It looks very bad for browsing web without flash viewer.
>
> I think it looks great - no ads !!! Hurray !!!

I may politely add that exactly this is the reason I removed
a working "Flash" support from my system. I rather like to
see empty "plug-in content" boxes instead of being annoyed by
"Flash" stuff that is mainly used for advertising.

Have you noticed that "Flash" has taken the place of animated
GIFs, adding sound and providing nothing that couldn't be
done using existing standards? I'm sure you have.

A growing part of today's "web designers" seem to have
accepted "Flash" as a replacement for valid HTML, and
even for invalid HTML.

Have you ever heared of a modern web browser that forces
you to install, let's say, a plugin for viewing JPG images,
and this plugin is only available for an arbitrary chosen
subset of operating systems, and loaded with patents and
other cripple-stuff? And it forces you to have an up-to-date
computer, of course, with an expensive OS (free OSes are
out of scope already). And all the clever "web designers"
now replace their working sites with JPG - even the text
is given as a JPG image. And it is assumed that you have
the plugin installed. And of course, there's a new version
of the plugin every year. All this just to view a JPG
image. Could you imagine such a stupid situation? It's
so idiotic, but it's the reality.

That's the situation with "Flash". And as I have experienced
it, I can honestly say that I'm fine without "Flash". I may
review my opinion, if given some reason to do so.

But as it has already been mentioned, that's a very individual
decision, based upon likes and dislikes.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany